Thread: copyright?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
JustAbitCrazy

You can get a copy of copyright laws and read them for yourself. I have done that in the past. Not sure where it is right now, to quote it, but I do remember that if you create a design, which is inspired by someone else's copyrighted design, and yours is still recognizable as having come from that other person's original copyrighted design, you can not claim it as your own, nor can you make copies of it. It is protected by the first person's copyright. May people believe if you change any one little thing about someone else's design, you have not infringed on their copyright, and that is just not what the law says. If you bought the copyrighted pattern, of course you can make something from it, and can change it to suit yourself, but you still may not make copies, for yourself or anyone else. Something else which many people misunderstand: they think it is permissible to make copies of copyrighted material and distribute those copies as long as you do not profit from them (charge a fee). That is not what the laws say. The copyright laws simply say only the owner of the copyright can make copies of the work. Period. It says absolutely nothing about money. And only the copyright owner can further develop their design into another design, or display the work publicly. That's what I remember, anyway.