View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
kiffie2413

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Jane, I agree with you for the most part about the rest of the world were more like quilters, but I'm still stinging from a moment with the Chief of Quilt Police last night. She told I wasn't a true quilter or artist because my quilts did not contain a coordinating mixture of large print, medium print and various colors and hues combine into an organized design. I asked about the quality and value of Gee's Bend Quilters. Her nose went in the air and she turned and started talking to another person treating me as if I was not there ..... for the rest of the evening. She made sure I was also snubbed by others. Me being me did not walk away and acted as if I enjoyed the gathering. But today it stings and I will give none of those involved the time of day (or support for any of their activities) for a long, long time.
Mary,
This just makes me angry!! And sad...sad that people like that give other people who are in awesome guilds a bad name! We have 2 quilt shops in the town close to me...I actually had visited the first 2, and got much the same treatment you did...whether it was my own perception or what I felt like they thought I wasn't "rich" enough for them...I happened upon the 3rd shop by accident..and I love it! Our lil group that meets there is pretty small...but we always welcome anyone who wants to come in! The owner of the shop is just a dear lady...There are a few of us that she actually tells us to cut our own fabric...lol..and if there is a particular fabric we are wanting she offers to let us look for it from the places she orders, and she will order it in! So, maybe there will be a different group in your future! Don't let a couple of rude people ruin things for you! I always say that when someone is rude and belittling it is because they don't feel good about themselves and are trying to tear someone else down...but it sure is hard to be in a group of people that you feel don't want you there...like mean girls in high school...
Regards,
Kif