View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 PM
mcwillia

Default SCORE on Studio cutter!

well, actually the label is "AccuCut", not Studio but it is the same cutter. After our teaching shift at beginner's sew camp, 3 of us checked out a quilt shop not normally on our route. To our dismay we learned another shop is biting the dust due to the economy. While my buddies were checking out fabric, I cruised the "flea market" section and spotted the cutter. The asking price was $500 which included 10 dies, two trays, and die cover sheets. Only two of the dies and covers had been used with the rest still in factory shrink wrap. The original price list for the dies was taped to the cutter, dated 2006 and the dies cost $25 or $30. Same ones are now $70 to $140.

Being the garage sale shopper that I am, I asked how flexible the pricing was but I wasn't expecting a lower price. The owner chatted about how little use the machine had as they never found the time to make quilt kits as planned and she would have to check with her partner. Then she asked if I would consider $400 fair. I immediately whipped out my credit card.

The best part.... I can use my Go cutter dies on the Studio with a $45 adapter. I do about 100 Project Linus quilts a year. Now I can make several kits at a time and quickly sew up a quilt when the mood/need strikes.