Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
irishrose

Wow, five and each one very pretty with more to go. Yes, I think the border was 2 1/2". That's all I could get from a scrap left from another quilt. It was wide enough to tie the colors together and not lose any points on the outside stars. I wanted to come back with the coral for binding, but I didn't have enough. I found the coral and purple print at my LQS - that was my only purchase for the whole quilt. I had admired that fabric for some time so it didn't break my heart to buy a small amount. The binding is wider than usual - I seem to like wider bindings and especially if the fabric is attractive.

FMQ - I went around each star 3/8" inside the stitching line. It worked quite well with my big plastic FM foot. I was surprised. Then I did a little star in the center of each star. The cream sections were just small loops. When I took one FM class, the instructor said to never cross a line, but I've discovered I like loops as well as meandering and they seem easier. Then orange peel in the squares with a continuous vine and leaves for the narrow border. It does lay perfectly flat - I just threw it on the floor for the pic and it looks like I could have straightened a few edges. I love it, but not for me - I am pleased it will go to a soldier.