Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by caroloto View Post
Very pleased you posted this! Singer products have gone downhill over the last few years. Even the Singer bobbins sizes are off and can cause problems. Better off avoiding Both Singer needles and bobbins unless it's in the old packages. Superior needles which are made by Boye are great too to use.
A lot of the problem with the "Singer" bobbins is that they aren't. Even the Singer stores and other sewing machine shops are selling the cheaper bobbins that they can get from their non-Singer suppliers and they're all the same poor quality as the ones you find in Joanns, Walmart etc. There are (at least) 2 grades of non-Singer bobbins nowadays, and of course the cheaper ones make companies more money. I have bought new bobbins that work just fine in the vintage machines, but they're never the cheap ones. SM shops won't always tell you the difference, if they even carry both. I can only guess that the theory is that no one returns bobbins. I hope it's not that if the bobbins don't work, maybe they'll get a service out of it.