View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM
ArchaicArcane

Default Camping with Cats?

Oh yeah! I went there.

We have 2 cats, geriatric. Neither loves the car, but I think with Rescue Remedy, thundershirts and good crating we might be OK. We'll ease into it. Any tips?

The reason I want to look at the possibility of doing this is that one of the ladies needs meds (chronic kidney disease), and they've been switched to a homemade meal which needs to be fed several times a day. I can't see asking a neighbor to pill the queen. She barely tolerates me doing it, and DH thinks if he had to do it that she'd kill him. Yeah, she's a bit of a scrapper. And I can't ask the neighbor to come in several times a day to feed them. Boarding them is a less than attractive option, they're very set in their ways, and very bonded to their family (other than the dog. They can take or leave her, with the preference on leaving her.) they stop eating if they're "displaced".

We have a travel trailer with AC and a furnace and a generator for no power situations, so climate control shouldn't be too much of an issue. While I know that this isn't a "fun" getaway, perhaps at least we -can- get away for a bit if they can travel...

Some CKD cats live for many years with their illnesses, I can't see us never doing more than a day trip from now until the end. The kitty slave needs to detox sometimes from home to be a better kitty slave...

Does anyone do this? Any tips on getting the started? Things to watch out for? I was thinking (DH was groaning and rolling his eyes) that we could do a short trip this long weekend to try it out.