Thread: Wardrobe Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
cindi

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
My Father died several year ago after 16 years of illness, during which my DM took care of him 24 hrs a day. I took his western shirts and years of pjs and cut most of them in 2 1/2" strips for a log cabin. I still have issues every time I open the tote full of strips and some larges pieces. Cannot seem to start due to all my memories. Also have a box of my DM's clothing to cut for quilt and have the same problem. Can you tell I was VERY close to my parents?
Don't feel bad about that. It took me 3 years to make mine. I'd take the clothes out, look at them, tear up, and put them away. Over and over again. It will come. And once you've cut those clothes up, it's much, much easier to look at it as "fabric" than your dear father's things. Keep one thing in mind: If you're making this for your mom, just think how much she would adore being able to cuddle and console herself under that quilt. That's what kept me going when I made mine for my brother, sisters, and aunts. I've made 5, and have one more left to do for my youngest sister. Here's the label with the poem I made up that I put on each quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]421413[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]421413[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg