View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
No help with the cats, but I do have three poodles who stay at home when I go somewhere, very happily, with their "come to my home" sitters. These folks are very good, but I can't remember if I've ever had to have them give meds or do anything radical to mine...but they surely would and they would do very well with it, I'm sure. Is there no one in your area who could do this? If they're professionals, as mine are, they can handle it all and you don't need to worry about it! Good luck!
The only one I know of formerly worked at the local (terrible) vet and she was fairly flighty even when just handling our billing. I'm not sure I'm that comfortable with her.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I would ask your vet! The traveling might just be too much for that kitty! I know that at the vet clinic I worked at (I'm a vet tech) we would often get older and infirmed pets in for boarding. Does your vet offer boarding? If so, if anything untoward happened, your vet would be right there to treat. So much more is involved when you have a geriatric cat who has CKD. Also, cats who are stressed and not at home will often refuse to eat or drink. I'm concerned that if you are out on the road and this happens, your cat may require an IV bolus of fluids. This is really something you need to discuss with your vet, IMHO.
I completely agree. You're right, I should have discussed this with her. I will call or email. My vet (the holistic vet in Edmonton) doesn't offer boarding, unfortunately, because I feel like they might be the only vet that I have used in the last 20 years who could pill stormi. The one in town here is very poor lately, and I can't see boarding with them. They have dogs and cats in the same area in the boarding area, and stormi's dog intolerant. They diagnosed stormi as being in end stage kidney failure with a borderline high thyroid then wanted to see her in 6 months. They also used Convenia to treat a bladder infection and use Metacam for pain in cats, despite my request that they not do it with ours. I just barely caught them the one time. The holistic vet has her almost back to normal values, and her t4 has never been out of range, it's in the low part of the range in fact.