View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Even if your vet doesn't do boarding, he/she might have a suggestion of a pet sitter or a boarding facility that can ake proper care of your baby. We actually changed our kennel because we had a geriatric dog who was to the stage of having BM accidents. When we would pick her up from the old kennel, the feces would be dried all over her and the OWNER of the kennel would tell us "It just happened". We found a wonderful kennel and they actually bathed our old lady everyday she was there and only charged us an additional $10! We even boarded our newest dog that we got from rescue who was undergoing the injections for treatment of heart worm. This kennel has been in business for over 25 years and we never worry about our animals when we leave them there. Wish you lived here because they certainly would take the best care of your baby!
How horrible!! Why take a pet if you aren't prepared to take care of them. She must have been miserable. I will definitely ask if the vet says no. I have an email in to them now, hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
We have been camping with cats for about 14 years now. I only have one now but we did have 2 at one time. We carry our cats out to the camper and let them find their own hiding place. We have horror stories of when Penny cat would hide under the slides in the bedroom (DH had to pull the floor up to get her until he finally fixed that). Now we have a young male cat and he struts around the camper till he finds his spot and then we lock the doors and drive off. We usually camp about 3 months each winter down south and then take numerous camping trips including a 3-4 week trip somewhere in September. I do not drug my cats in any way and they have never given me a problem. We put them in that camper each season and they always do really well. Our old cat stayed in a nice kennel by the window on the bed and would look out the window as we traveled, sure got lots of waves from travelers about that. But Shadow, our male, refuses any type of kennel and just likes to rest on the floor. We also travel with 3 dogs in the back seat of the truck and at one time carried 3 parakeets with us. If I am going camping, the pets have to come with us, we have no-one to help us with them. Good Luck.
We're in exactly the same situation. No one to help us, and I don't think I'd want to try to burden a friend or neighbor anyway with a special needs type of cat. If they were just in need of food, water and a warm bed, it might be OK for a weekend for us, but our vacation a few years ago made me so nervous. We have such a great neighbor, the one time she looked after them, she made sure she visually spotted stormi each night and emailed me to tell me that she had. A lot has changed since then though, and it would be unkind to everyone to try to ask her to pill an unwilling cat.

Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
My cat is diabetic and requires insulin shots twice a day. We used to tent camp but bought an RV so we can take him with us when we go. He does fine--he loves laying in the window watching out when we are parked. When we are driving, he sleeps on one of the beds, we have to wake him up when we get home. Before he became diabetic we would leave him home and my sister would check on him, but he would get so lonesome. Now that he is diabetic, we don't want to stress him by leaving him for several days, so he goes with us. I think every cat is unique, though, and will handle it differently. Thankfully he does ok! Good luck with yours.
Somehow I knew that the people here wouldn't think I was a complete nutter for wanting to do this. We had the trailer already, for the bikes and such, but I find as I'm slowing down some, I see other uses for that big back area I'm reasonably sure they would do fine with the trailer when it's stationary, and might get used to the truck while moving. A trailer is so bumpy when it's moving (I rode in the back for a couple of miles once to see what it was like for the animals), I'm surprised that animals will sleep in the trailers.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Two of the cats that lived with us had overactive thyroids and were given medication twice a day. I put half a pill in half a feline "pill pocket" followed by a few Temptations treats. I would just put the med and treats on the floor and cats would vacuum them up.
OK, I laughed out loud when I read this. One of the kitties thought I was nuts. I've seen them in the stores and often wondered if they worked. Kitty Crack, eh?