View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
rjwilder

We travel with an 18 pound cat we have a 5th wheel. We got him when he was 9, his previous owner never took him in an RV. We decided he was going to have to get used to the RV lifestyle. We took off on a trip a week after we adopted him. We went for a weekend just 70 miles away. He is micro-chipped but I put a harness on him with a name tag on it. He goes into his crate and we carry it to the truck. He stays in the crate until we stop, that is the safest way to travel with him. I do keep my kitty accident bag in the truck in case he gets sick or has a potty accident. If we stop at a rest area he gets carried into the RV in his crate, once inside we let him out to feed, water and use the litter box. Then back into the crate and into the truck, he only gets out of the crate when he is in the RV, never for a walk or to just hang out in the truck. The crate is his safety net in case of a crash, plus the cat has learned that is where he goes for the trip and has come to find security in his crate. We used to spray Feliway in the truck before we left but he doesn't even make a sound anymore nor does he try to claw his way out of the crate. Our vet told us to keep the same routine, keep him safe in the crate in the backseat. She said if he can not see out the windows he will probably not get car sick and so far no sickness or potty accidents. If for some reason we have to take him out of the crate I keep the leash handy and he has the harness on, so far no need for that either. We do not uncrate him until we have all three slides out, he freaked out once when I let him out before the slides were out. He is an indoor cat only, but that's not to say if the door is open and another cat or bird walks by he won't go after it. He is an animal and no matter what we think all animals have unpredictable behavior. So we try to be mindful not to leave the doors open. I did try the leash out and I learned my lesson, I thought I'd try walking him on the leash, it was fine until he heard a car drive by. He freaked big time, not being used to the harness may have made it worse. He went into flight or fight mode, of course I had the leash so that only left him to fight to protect himself from what he thought was going to harm him. I of course then became scratched, bitten and observed how frightened and stressed he became. My vet told me sometimes just even putting a collar or harness on a cat that isn't used to it the cat will freak out and jump all over, hiss, bite, claw and try to get away from it. So, he wears the harness and stays in the crate until he is moved to an inside secure location. The vet also said that campgrounds are the worse places for pets because many pets have been there before us. She said many pets as well as raccoons, skunks, etc, have urinated, pooped and probably vomited in the same spots that we would walk our pets in. Not to mention fleas, ticks and other creatures, then she threw in our animals paws have all that on them when they go back into the RV and hop up on our bed. Lovely thought! So, I say give the camping a try, just be careful and I advise keeping them in the crates until you get the RV parked and slides open. We have made 9 trips in a year with no problems and it has worked out well. The cat realizes he gets more lap time when we RV than when we're home and boy does he take advantage of it.