View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM
katykwilt

We have two 19 year old cats, one has medication twice a day -- so they go with us rather than pay for someone to come in that often. They ride in the back seat of the truck when we're traveling and get moved to the trailer when we arrive. After three years with a small trailer, we just got a new unit that's 36' with 3 slides, so there is plenty of room. The first two times we went out there was some discussion from the back seat, but now they seem to like it -- took a while for them to get used to the new trailer, but it's working and I'm glad. So much less worry.

Things that may help:
1. I put them in the truck about 5 minutes before we leave (if it isn't too hot). They get all the "talk" out of the way before we start.
2. There is catnip growing in the yard -- a few nibbles about an hour before we leave each time, seems to enervate them a bit, then they get sleepy quicker.
3. I put a litter box and water in the truck, but no food for 2 or 3 hours before we hit the road.
4. Take a copy of their vaccinations with you -- some campgrounds require them.
5. Use a product to fight fleas and ticks on them too. Can't be too careful.

Have fun!

PS -- the reason we have such a big unit --- I have the bedroom in back as my sewing/quilting room. It has a double bunk on one side, and an upper bunk on the other (above an outside kitchen that really should be fabric storage). The double bunk area is now cleared out, replaced with a table and chair. The storage under the other bunk and along the back is perfect for "my" stuff. A flannel sheet gets tucked under that mattress and serves as a design wall. The third slide is in this room, so have plenty of room for a litter box too. I just love it!

Last edited by katykwilt; 06-29-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: post script