View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM
CanoePam

Default Panel baby quilt for a summer baby

I found out recently that I had a new great nephew; the family hadn't thought to tell us my niece was pregnant again Since all new babies need a quilt, I pulled out a panel I bought at a quilt show recently since I needed something fast. It was part of a kit that had a nice collection for borders, and I found a cute coordinating backing. Since this baby lives in Corpus Christi, TX I knew I needed a very lightweight batting. I found a 50/50 cotton/bamboo batting at Joanns that I decided to take a chance on. I really like it! If it very lightweight and drapable, and it washed up nicely. I quilted the background with Aurifil cotton, the blue with Floriani polyester, and the yellow with Isacord polyester; obviously I am not a thread purist! I wanted the animals to stand out, so I outlined them and then did the fill work around them. This was pieced and bound on my Bernina 440 and quilted on my Handiquilter Sweet 16. Aren't the borders cute? The side and top borders were from the same fabric, just cut differently. The binding is a multicolor stripe cut on the bias, one of my favorite type of binding. I just did stitch in the ditch, freehand, for the smaller borders and big loops for the outer border.

On this quilt, I used spray basting for the first time. It was also only my second time using glue for my bindings. I loved both techniques! I definitely will be using them again.

Thanks for looking.

Pam