View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 AM
aborning

If price is not a factor, then I would definitely get a dead bar. I first had a 18" Tin Lizzie and the frame did not have a dead bar. I now have a APQS Freedom (26") and the frame is much, much sturdier and I have a dead bar and would never ever go back to not having the dead bar. The convenience of it is definitely worth paying for it. Hve you considered the 18" APQS Lennie? It will have the dead bar on the frame and I think the price would probably be about the same as the Tin Lizzie and in my opionion (having owned both a Tin Lizzie and now a APQS), I would not consider ever buying a Tin Lizzie again but I would definitley buy another APQS machine. APQS machines also have a very good stitch regulator and tension. I have had my APQS for 1 1/2 years and have quilted over 100 quilts on it so far and have had no problems whatsoever. (NOTE: I did have many, many problems with my Tin Lizzie during the time I had it and quilted 70 quilts on it). As far as quilting a King size quilt, make sure you buy a long enough frame--at least a 10 or 12 ft. I have a 12' frame and would not buy anything smaller because I can have a very large quilt on it and still have some room for the extra width on the sides of the backing and then there is still room for my machine to sit off to the side. (I never leave my machine sit over a quilt when I am not actually quilting on the quilt). Good luck in your decision.