View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 AM
DustysMomma

I'm doing the owls too. Not as urgent. I'll use the individual owls for different projects along the way. I think the fish I'm going to end up making to send to my boyfriend's nephew in Denmark because it's bright and happy. It'll be couch size though, because they sleep with duvets in Denmark.

The owls I thought about for my favorite uncle. I've thought several times that I should make him a quilt, or at least a throw blanket. He's the only man in my family who would truly appreciate the effort involved because he used to quilt himself when he was younger.

Part of me says I should make my mother a quilt of some kind, since my sewing seems to be the only thing we have to talk about since Gramma died, but I'm just not sure what pattern/block I'd like to make for her. When she used to quilt, she did what I call cheat quilting. She did a pieced top, tied it off, and because she didn't like to deal with the way batting behaves, she'd get one of those blankets that's like the old style electric blankets, but without the electric, and use it for the batting. They always feel weird to me. I have one she made for my dad's mom that I was given to me when they put Grandma in the nursing home, but I doubt I'll ever use it because of that blanket batting. Hers could definitely be a stash buster quilt though, since there's no theme in her efficiency apartment. The last quilt I know of her making, she got pieces of clothing and baby blankets, things that would mean something to my niece, and cut hexagons out of it and pieced a row of each fabric. So, I know she wouldn't mind one of that type herself.