View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM
suziehammond

JULY CHALLENGE

And here I thought we would all be getting more done these summer months than b4. Funny how life can fool you.

Since July is all about recalling history and the special times required to bring about freedom let's explore that. All over the world people yearn for 'freedom' although many of us aren't really sure how we would define that nowadays. But we know some of what that is. Being able to make personal choices is integral.

So this month how could show some aspect of 'freedom' in cloth? Slapping paint splatters and quilt around them? Cutting and appliqueing in a haphazard fashion? Depicting the struggles of people thru the ages as they fought for freedom? How about your flag of choice? Making personal fabric and sewing choices that are definitely against the accepted norm? So many ways to show this.

And remember that incorporating this idea into other projects you have on the table counts too. A mug rug with your freedom idea is fine. A July table runner with a new experimental technique, or baby Q with freedom of oddball patterns is super.

As I got onto this theme I just thought of about 6 things I'd like to do, as usual. You might have that overly active imagination too. Just pick one and get started to stretch your creativity.

We don't have fireworks here in Chile in July of course, altho the US embassy used to put on a display-- now we have austerity instead. So I may have to madly slice, splatter and ohhh! haul out that box of glitzy stuff and some steam a seam......

I will be interested to see what inspirations happen to you all on this one.

Looking for any June project photos you are finishing up too.