View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Rosyhf

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
Rosy, that is awesome!! Do us a tute on it, please!!!
I am happy to do a little tut on it. First make a paper template of a 60 degree diamond, this will help you with the direction of the cuts as the blocks are mirror image. Write left on one side of the template and right on the other.

Cut your strips into 2 inches or 2 inches and below if you just want random any size strips. Make your strata by sewing the strips together. Once you figure out how many blocks you can cut from a strata, then you can get the length of your strips. (if you are cutting fresh strips, please cut or tear them on the straight of grain.)

Press the seams to the side, measure and cut your strata to a 6 inch width. Place you template on the strata and see if it's a right or left cut. Place you 60 degree line of your ruler and cut the first cut, turn the strip, line up you 60 d line and count 6 inches from the left of the ruler and make your second cut. (Bear in mind that some rulers have an extra half inch added on one side, so you will have to move that over and count after it. ) Now, cut all your left or right patches from the same strata strip.

Line the blocks up on your board and sew them in rows and then sew the rows together but we will see that when I start to do it.

The pics below will show the first cut (that is my template, I make them out of anything lol) and then the strip turned for the second cut. The right and left block and blocks cut from the same strip all going the same way.
Attached Thumbnails right-cut.jpg   left-cut.jpg   let-right-blocks.jpg   blocks-same-strip.jpg