View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
I would frame with a small print or a solid color. The outer border could be a plaid to give the hint of what's on the back. A bias plaid for binding would top it off well. Happy Quilting and hugs
I like this, although I might toss in some plaid cornerstones. Thanks for the hugs!!

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
.....and I made cornerstones for the solid sashing out of the plaid fabrics....
This sounds do-able!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​You could try the plaid sashing but break up the sashing with cornerstones. Check to see if the plaid is printed straight before trying. Sometimes the plaid is printed crooked and no amount of cutting will allow the lines to look straight. Solid sashing and the plaid on the bias for binding would look good also.
Good advice on the possible problems with printed patterns (like my alliteration?!) - I think woven is the way to go. And you've registered another vote for solid sashing with cornerstones...a pattern is developing here.

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
It is easy to keep the lines even horizontallly or vertically. the key is in the cutting. Cut along the limes of the plaid rather than using a ruler and rotary cutter. This will take longer. And use cornerstones as Tartan suggests. Finally, be sure that the plaid you buy is 1) woven, not printed and 2) symmetrical rather than asymmetrical. Here's how to tell:

http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelin...ing_plaids.pdf

If you have an asymmetrical plaid, you will need to be very careful in cutting and sewing the sashing, since you can't "interchange" horizontal sashing strips and vertical sashing strips. In short, yes you can, but it will take more time and more fabric (needed to match the plaids). I vote for a bias plaid binding.
Thanks you for that link! That was very helpful, and solidified several vague feelings I had had about plaids and their wily ways but had never really thought about. Excellent!

Alison