Thread: hand quilting
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
mckwilter

Check with the LQSs in your area and see if any are offering handquilting classes. Even if they aren't, they may know someone who would be willing to teach you. Also, I think there is a beginning hand quilting class offered on Craftsy. You could check them out.

As a relative beginner, I will share my limited wisdom with you: (1) Use good tools -- there are differences in threads and needles. And find a thimble that is comfortable because it will become your best friend. (2) Forget about speed. Enjoy the process of moving the needle through the fabric. Try to find a rhythm that works for you. (3) Don't worry about making small stitches, just make them a consistent size. Check out sashiko stitching, which can be used for quilting as well as decorative stitching. (4) If you work on it every day, you will finish it. I know that is slightly simplistic, but depending on the size of your quilt, there will be times when you look at it and think, "Am I ever going to finish this?" Have fun and good luck.