Thread: What to charge
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM
MarthaT

I agree, only on rare occasions do we get what our work is really worth. Here's how I think about it for me personally. I LOVE to make quilts, start to finish, including hand quilting. It is wonderful therapy for me. I could just keep buying fabric and making quilt after quilt. Or I could sell a few and help support my "habit". No, I don't get what it's worth, but I can fund the next couple of projects. I can also use the profit to buy more material to use to make quilts to donate to my fav charity's fund raisers or to give to the needy. I'm an not trying to put food on my table or shoes on my feet. So I don't get bent out of shape if I can't get $6000 for a quilt even though it takes more hours to make than a $6000 custom cabinet my husband makes and people are happy to buy. I also find joy in keeping the quilting tradition alive and blessing others with a warm quilt or throw. Currently most of my quilts are not sold, but given to family members or charities, but the occasional sale is a God-send.