Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

First I always pre-wash my fabric and I don't use fabric softener. No one is going to wear it. Smaller pieces can be put in a lingerie bag or a pillow case secured at the top. Strip scraps come in handy for this that are almost to small for scrappy quilts. As far as fabric that smells like smoke, when I buy fabric from estate sales, I use vinegar or ammonia with the ARM & HAMMER Laundry soap and warm or hot water and those color catchers from different companies. I have the ones from Shout. Vinegar is good to help wash down the walls. As far as your appliances I use the microfiber cloths and good old Dawn dish soap. I would definitely be talking to someone about the damage that has been done due to the soot from the smoke. Hope you had insurance and they did. Try to file a claim against them. If you lease talk to the landlord/property manager. I'm sure the smoke saturated your whole apartment/condo/townhome. Get an estimate to have your machine cleaned. You can also check to see what it's going to cost to have your home professionally cleaned.