Thread: Practicing
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Debbie B

Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
I think you are doing great, Debbie! Your designs will look great on a quilt.

I wanted to learn to quilt feathers, so I started out just drawing them over and over and over. Then I put on a practice piece and quilted them. They were getting better, but I still wasn't totally happy with them. One day I decided that the only way I was really going to get good at quilting feathers was to start putting them on quilts. The first quilt was an easy pattern I made just to practice my feathers and I use it as a lap quilt on my couch. I don't mind that the quilting isn't that great, I still love it. I have now quilted several quilts with feathers and am (generally) very happy with the results. I guess what I am saying is, don't be afraid to quilt your designs on actual quilts. Matching thread really does hide a multitude of mistakes and you'll see a HUGE improvement after each quilt you complete.
Thank you for the encouraging words. I put the top that I made for the class on my frame today. I tried to pebble & it's looking like a hot mess! But, I keep telling myself that this is to learn something new. I, too, draw & draw for practice. I'm actually pretty good drawing the quilting, but the quilting is a different story...lol. I can draw feathers, but they remind me of the Loch Ness monster when I quilt them. But, I'm not giving up!