View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
Hi y'all,

I am making a T-shirt quilt for a gentleman who really likes plaid, and has requested that the backing be plaid flannel. That's fine. I'm good with that.

Given his fondness for plaid I am considering sashing the Ts with plaid fabric, and am concerned that it may drive me insane trying to keep the plaid lines vertical or horizontal, and parallel with the edges of the T blocks. Has anyone tried sashing with plaids? Does it make your head explode? Should I just give myself a break and sash with a delightful, non-directional, neutral blender in rich manly colors? I could always bind with a plaid - might look cool cut on bias...

Alison

Does he have some old plaid shirts? OR if you can find a few at a cheap rummage sale. You'd be surprised how much fabric is in one shirt. To avoid the matching problem, you might sash each tshirt square in strips from ONE shirt and then another shirt for the next one. Use a later t shirt block with more of the same. Use at least 5 shirts. If you use the plaid form one shirt on one t-shirt block, you'd not have to deal so much with keeping plaids in order.