Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
moonbunny

Question New to machine quilting--is there a fairly easy way to quilt a king size?

Hi all,

I need an Arizona-summer-weight quilt for my queen-sized bed. I'm making it king-sized for a little extra adaptability. For ease, I've decided to make it out of 2 king-sized sheets with very, very thin batting. I was going to just quilt it by sewing lines horizontally and vertically, but a few good people here encouraged me to use the opportunity to make it a little more interesting (thanks so much for that!)

The easiest thing I can think of that doesn't require much extra money or supplies would be to machine quilt it, employing some sort of simple, but nice, design. Our sewing machine here at home is an older Singer from the 60's, so I'm guessing things will have to be kept pretty simple since it's an older machine. The good news is I should be able to work on a fairly large surface (our dining room table pulls out to 13 feet,) so maybe I won't have to wrestle with the bulk of the quilt so much.

Would I be biting off more than I can chew to machine quilt something so large? Are there ways to do it fairly easily?

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone might have to offer.

Thanks so much!
b