Thread: crayons
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 02:35 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Comice;6158503]I wonder if melting the crayons and using a paintbrush to apply (kinda like batik) would be easier - I gotta try this!
Thanks for the inspiration![/QUOTE
*melting the crayons then 'trying' to paint doesn't work so well- the colors tend to separate from the wax- that's why after coloring we can 'heat set' and remove the wax- the color stays behind....it (might) work if after melting you really...blend, blend, blend ...or maybe add some sort of medium...since the color separates from the wax you may be able to 'paint' with the color- but it would not work like batiking- where wax is applied first, dried- then color added to the *non-waxed* areas. ... it is all worth a try though- one word about 'Crayons' one poster said she was told to always use Crayola crayons...I thought that was 'funny' a number of years ago a company marketed crayons to quilt shops---they were (I think- Prago-something like that) they cost 3 times as much as a box of crayons in the store and we were told---these are the only crayons that really work... I had been using the least expensive dollar store crayons I could find --with great success-- I tried the *new crayons*... they were *OK at best* faded after a couple washes---and when this was brought up we were told---the nice thing about crayons is---you can just re-color when they fade. ...I've tried them all---working with the pre-schoolers they have quite a variety of brands from expensive to very inexpensive---they all work- some colors are more vibrant, some work better if you layer the coloring- I still 14 years later pick up what ever is at the dollar store that has the best assortment of colors- and I try to find the ones with nice vibrant colors- Crayola's work good- but so do many others.