View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 AM
tlrnhi

Originally Posted by Skeat
I am in the same thinking boat as you!:)Only I am in the states:)Dh and I have decided that the money we would spend on ourselves we are spending to help others since so many around us are having a difficult time. I'd rather buy kid toys to bring a smile then to add to a pile I already have a good hump in:)There is always Valentine's Day to have a list for:)Skeat
We always grab names off of the Angel Tree at church. Usually about 5 or 6 names. I have fun shopping for those. :)
Holidays are also the time I do a HUGE cleaning of my pantry. You wouldn't believe everything that gets tossed in the back of the pantry that you have (not expired) and you have no clue WHEN you are going to use these things. I box those items up and they go to the local shelters and get passed out with the food boxes and such.
I also clean out my towels and the old ones go to the Humane Society.
There are TONS of organizations here that are just begging for money. Being involved with the group I am in, I sat in on the last meeting to help dispurse over $17,000. Not an easy thing to do when there are tons of people wanting your money. We always try to give to those that aren't subsidized by the gov't. A good portion of the money we made at the craft fair (admission fee and bake sale)...that money was donated to Operation Christmas Drop. In the past, ALL the money was donated to them, but this year, we decided to give them just a portion so we could help out more of the charities on island.

Valentine's Day? Well, that's easy...same thing I want for Christmas! lol