View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
petthefabric

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Something I learned when I was making a green, cream, and purple quilt- I was VERY matchy matchy about the shade of green that I was using - and later decided that I limited myself.

If I had it to do over, I would have varied the colors a bit more - kept it close, but not quite such a narrow range of color. It was hard to find that precise green in later years.
I agree with the "matchy matchy" info. It can be too predictable. A variety in value and hue jazzes up a color palet. Such as slightly yellow-green to slightly blue-green and slightly red-violet to slightly blue-violet.

Another comment was the choices need to convey the "mood" you want. Quiet, serene, calm, soft, spring. Adding white will be a cleaner look, more like spring. Sand/cream will give a beach/ocean feel. Darker values will add strength and less sweet. A triad will have more energy, hinse, add salmon.

Another good comment is the size of the pieces will make a difference in the size motif that will be affective. I'd choose very small print or solid. Don't like any of the polka dots for small pieces.