Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM
ArchaicArcane

Default Barriers to quilting, how to make them go away?

I'm finding that I have many reasons to not sew or quilt lately.

First, I'm not retired and likely won't be for another 20+ years, so recreation time is limited already.
I don't work full time though, and I work from home.
  • I find myself feeling "guilty" for wanting to quilt during the day, and only seem to feel OK about it after I've done everything and I do mean -everything- that I need to do before I start. It's like it's a reward that I'm just not giving myself. I've also been described as a workaholic... so that becomes a problem when making time to sew. I will make sure my work desk is clear first...
  • I have so many projects to do, I just can't pick one to do. I currently have no WIP or UFOs... Literally nothing on the go. I just can't help thinking that I would like to do some sort of project, but it just doesn't happen...
  • I seem to spend an awful lot of time getting ready to sew, but no real time sewing. Machine is clean, oiled, serviced (as are all of the machines in the house that I use, and then some), I've researched to death (I've read 3 Karen McTavish books in the last 2 weeks - cover to cover), my sewing desk is clean and ready to be messed up, bobbins wound, etc. I just can't get started.
  • DH also says he thinks I have a fear of failure. That the project won't turn out the way I want it to, so I don't start. (Yes, I know there are no quilt police, only quilt inspectors.)

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome some of these barriers? I have been concentrating on practicing FMQ for the last little bit, but I don't find even 10 minutes a day, and so when I come back to it, I have to spend time getting rusty muscles back into the swing of things, and of course those results don't look very good.