Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I think your dh may be right. Not only fear of failure, but also perfectionism, held my quilting back for many years. It's only now that I am ***really*** old that I have realized it's better to make something than to only think about making something.

My new mantra is "finished is good" no matter how many mistakes there are. And I have found that the awful mistakes I make along the way seem to disappear in the finished product.

If you do not have something already pieced and waiting to be quilted, I would recommend dropping the FMQ practice for now. It's just another way of postponing actually making something.

When I get stalled, I get out the kitchen timer and set it for 10 minutes. I need to do whatever my goal is only until the timer goes off. This gets me started. Most times I reset the timer and keep resetting it until I am actually "into" whatever I am doing and no longer want the timer. The first time you do this your goal for the timer could be to look for a project you want to work on. Just remember that you do not need to decide on the project within that 10 minutes; you just have to spend 10 minutes working on it. In my case, I would spend the first 10 minutes going through my plastic boxes of "to do" projects I have already put together.