View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Traditional Quilter

I use Roxanne's silver pencil and have had no issues in washing it out. I also use Sewline pencil for marking as I go -- it rubs off easily and not good for marking an entire top. I found some machine quilting practice squares that I had marked with a blue washout pen. I'm sure these have been tucked away for a least a couple of years. So I washed one to see if the blue would come out and there was no sign of the blue left on the fabric. I have now marked an entire quilt top with the blue pen. I feel pretty confident the blue will wash out after I complete the quilting in perhaps 6 months or a year. If this is the case I will probably convert to the blue pen because the silver pencil smears after all the handling. Whatever you decide to use mark a scrap piece of the same fabric as in your quilt and then wash it to see if the markings come out. I have never used a Hera. I've tried but my eyesight just doesn't see the lines all that well. Just remember that the Hera is for marking as you go. I'm afraid if you marked the entire quilt top before sandwiching, the lines would disappear. Good luck on whatever you choose.