View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I think your block is lovely! Your stitches look amazingly uniform to me! I do both needle turn and raw edge applique. I was a hand quilter only until about 3 years ago.. I have done the technique where you sew like an interfacing to the applique piece, right sides together. Then u make a small clip in the interfacing part and turn the applique piece right side out. Presto...no raw edges, applique is ready to stitch. I also recently saw the technique where you use the interfacing, make sure it's fusible..putting the fusible side to the right side of the applique piece. Stitch around, clip curves if needed. Then make slit opening in fusible side and turn it right side out...the fusible will then have the sticky side out, ready to be fused to your block fabric then stitched. Lastly I have seen where people use used dryer sheets in place of the fusible..great idea for recycling! Again, love your block!
K
I have done that last technique you described with the fusible interfacing...only on a couple of blocks for a BOM and on a few practice Sunbonnet Sues. I like the method. I've tried needle turn but wasn't pleased with my work.
Jan, your block is beautiful.