Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 AM
Skratchie

I have a slightly different view on this, because I've been where you are now. It may sound harsh, and it certainly isn't meant to be harsh, but I'm just going to come out with it. Sorry ...

I don't think you WANT to quilt. I think you like the IDEA of quilting, but you aren't "there" right now. When I don't want to quilt, I love the ideas I come up with for quilts I could make but I spend a lot of time "prepping" to quilt - cleaning the house, making sure my space is cleaned up, and my house is in good shape, and my work is all done, etc yada yada. But when I really want to actually quilt, there is little that will stop me, except for a very messy work space. My studio is in our master bedroom, and I find that in order to feel at my most creative, I can't have a lot of laundry lying around, waiting to be washed or put away. And because my room is multi-purpose, I do my best to keep it mostly clean so when I am ready to quilt or sew, there is no reason why I can't just walk in here and go at it.

I found that I spent more time looking at quilting magazines, on Pinterest, on Facebook, on quilting forums, and so forth, talking about and thinking about quilting but not actually quilting. I just wasn't inspired to make anything. I went through that for a couple of YEARS, until I finally found something I really wanted to do. Now I have projects lined up like you wouldn't believe. Very little gets in the way of my quilting right now. I just had to get to "this place" before it all clicked and I decided this was more important than scrubbing the kitchen cabinet fronts, or cleaning the baseboards. :-)

The thing is, when you really want to do something, you'll make time for it. Yeah, you may be afraid of failure, but if you don't fail, how will you ever improve? I've royally screwed up a quilt I worked on for three years for my husband ... but he doesn't really care, and no one else can see the mistakes when they look at it - not even my mother, who has sewn for 40+ years. There's not a person on this board who doesn't have an "ugly quilt" laying around somewhere that they'd rather no one see, but they learned a lot from making it, you can bet.