View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 AM
pflum1

Sewing machine cabinets heights are usually 29 to 31 inches high. Therefore, I have an office type chair that can be adjusted to the right height. I have tried sewing chairs and they just wasn't right for me. Your bent elbows should be almost level with your machine height. If you have to raise your arms to feed the fabric through the machine, your back will hurt. I don't think a person can say, I'm 5'4" and my height is ?? as each person's arms are in a different place. I had a large drop leaf cutting table custom made and it's height is 36" with is right for me.
Several of my friends put cans of food under the dining room table to raise it at the right height for them. I have a couple old 36" doors that we removed and I use them for drapery tables. We put folding banquet table legs on them and I used conduct pipe and couplings to extend the height. You can put books, wood blocks, etc under the table legs to get the right height.
One friends husband nails several 2 x 4 pieces together, drilled a shallow hole in the center where their table sets and it's just right for her. If you have to lean over to cut, it's too low and will make your back hurt.