View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

What an amazing story. I'm so happy that the quilt is still in your family's possession. The quilts my Mother made were utilitarian and sadly did not survive as they were constantly used and used up. Instead of batting she would use an old worn out blanket, sometimes an Army blanket brought back by one of my older brothers when they returned from Korea. Most of my quilts are made to be used, although most of them are still intact, as they were not heirloom quilts. That's probably why I started making quilts for our bi-annual family reunions, my brothers and sister sent fabric, I made a quilt to be raffled off at the family reunion. I'm pretty sure that was over 20 years ago, you know as you get older the mind starts to go, in the wrong direction, unfortunately. Fittingly, the very first quilt went to my oldest brother and when he passed away a few years ago, his kids - 6 girls and one boy - drew numbers and his youngest daughter now has the quilt. The quilts have become a reunion favorite, although neither myself nor my 2 children have won, but part of me will live on and I know the majority of those quilts are treasured by my family. I like to think I started another family tradition, although I sure would like to win one back one of these years.