Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
wildyard

Default I Spy A Rainbow. My first quilt since surgery.

This is the first quilt I have made since my knee replacement surgery. It is going to be a playing outside quilt for a neighbor's little girl who will be one soon. Rather than give up or repurpose the fabric, I decided to go with it and just make the best of each error.
First, I graphed the pattern, and cut all my fabrics from those measurements, rather than sewing my 9 patches and measuring their finished size.
Second, In the pattern, I planned for 5" squares in the I spy 9P, forgetting that, in fact, I had cut them at 5.5" to finish at 5" rather than to finish at 4.5".
Third, so of course, all my solid strips were in fact too short. I didn't have enough to recut them, so I decided to make them fit. LOL... this left the 9P's very puckery. I still ended up having to add small pieces to some of the outer solid strips to make them come out the right length.
Forth, so I decided to add extra batting to the 9P's to make them into little pillow areas for extra comfy napping on. You can see these in the 3rd photo....... and
Fifth, I mis-measured the backing center and ended up having to add a narrow purple strip to each side to make it wide enough.
All in all, I would say this quilt has taken me several weeks. I hope you all like the rainbow lemonade I finished up with after I made so many lemons, LOL. PS: I have NOT trimmed the backing yet nor added the binding.
Attached Thumbnails i-spy-rainbow-quilted-unbound.jpg   i-spy-rainbow-back.jpg   rainbow-i-spy-angle-view-show-pillowy-9p.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-10-2013 at 06:20 PM.