View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Pennyhal

I have two sergers, an older Bernina and a Babylock Evolve. Neither of them make me totally happy. I love how the Bernina stitches and how you can control the width of the stitch, but I have to fiddle with threading and the tension knobs. The Babylock is self threading and no tension knobs, but the stitches fall off the edge of the fabric...they will tell you it doesn't or that you aren't stitching correctly, but it does. Just look at a sample of its stitches at the store, and you can see that they aren't snugged up next to the fabric. This is a particular problem when going around curves. And the space to the right of the needle is very small. Now, they say that these problems are solved with the newest model, the Bablylock Evolution, but I haven't seen it. I would not use it for quilting because of the problems others have mentioned and it is next to impossible to get a quarter inch stitch width without changing some of the settings. I know some people use their serger for just about everything, but finishing edges or doing a rolled hem is about all I use it for. I think they now have an attachment for sewing machines that has a cutting blade so that it does the same thing on edges that a serger does, but I haven't seen that in use yet.