Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 AM
alwayslearning

Originally Posted by Vera39760 View Post
My mother also has macular degeneration. She has the wet kind and has had to have shots in her eyes to stop bleeding in the eye. She loves to read and is working on quilts for my brother and sister. (She finished mine before she came to live with me.) mom lives with me full time. She has an ott light with a magnifier on it. She also has a magnifier she wears around her neck. I have her sewing machine set up in my sewing room so when she wants to sew I am usually in there with her. I thread her needle when she gets frustrated. I usually wait until she tries herself because she tells me she can do it herself. It works. For hand sewing I got a needle threader that sits on the table and you put your needle eye first into the hole and push the lever. I have tried to make it possible for her to do as much as she can by herself. My DMIL also with wet macular degeneration told me to keep encouraging her. The day she decides she can't do something, she probably won't try again. If she suddenly can't do something try to find out why. It may be more light needed or. Stronger magnifying glass. Don't give up before doing everything possible to help her keep doing the things she loves.
One of our quilting group is having similar problems. Everyone should have a daughter like you. Great advice.