View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 AM
MaryAnnMc

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
Default Wore out the seam ripper on this one!

And it's only the top! I finished at midnight. I'll pack my suitcase today for a trip to Tampa so I can fly to Montana tomorrow morning, to see my friend. I had hoped to have this totally finished so she could have it to start chemo with this week, but at least she'll have something to look forward to.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on the background... this is the third try. I had nearly all the pieces cut from the 2nd choice the LQS helped me make, and gave up. It just didn't work. At that point, I'd spent so much I decided to order online, at half price. While I was waiting for fabric to arrive, I made a stack of mini-blocks so I can make a wall hanging of this pattern for myself.

What I've learned from this quilt:
1. What works on paper doesn't necessarily work in fabric. I need to redraw this pattern before I start the mini. I don't know what a Y-seam is, but I'm pretty sure the corners I worked myself into are worse than that.

2. Trust your gut. This would have looked really awesome in blacks and grays, my first choice. My friend would have loved it, and I'd have saved a ton of money.

3. Sometimes the fifth time is the charm. Be persistent.

4. If #3 fails, good enough will have to do, even if it is wonky.

5. Back to basics: this is my third pieced quilt, and I didn't have the skills for this. I have to confess I like designing quilts more than I like making them, but this was an incredible learning experience. I am definitely closer to genius status after this one!!

So, here she is, Ann-Mari's heart (and for those who will ask: I used mostly Kaffe Fassett fabrics, the purples are Kona cottons by Kaufman, and I designed this monstrosity myself)

P.S.: the more I look at this, the more I dislike the straight line across the top of the heart. When I get home, i will rip out one of the larger squares in the lightest purple and replace it with a four-patch, one being a darker color to echo the heart shape.
Attached Thumbnails ams-heart.jpg  

Last edited by MaryAnnMc; 07-14-2013 at 04:09 AM.