View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Sierra

Took my breath away!!! The barn quilt is great, but the rest is downright funny! We live in "guest quarters" in the top of a barn (a big red barn).. and there is an oversized 2 car garage below on one side and a carpentry shop on the other. The other side of the top is a "craft" room. This is our nephew's place and he had built the guest quarters for his wife's grandmother, who is long gone now. Both the shop and, of course, the apartment have bathrooms with showers. We are elderly and consider the stairs (16 and steep) to be part of our exercise routine. We did put in a railing on the other side, so if we trip we don't have to think which side to grab!

We didn't even know about the craft room when we moved in. The wife saw us setting up for quilting in the livingroom of the one bedroom apartment and said something like "Why would you quilt here when there is a craft room a few feet away!" We hadn't realized it was there! It is a huge room, but I try to stay on one end. They put washer and dryer connections for us in an area that had been left empty in case they needed to put in an elevator for grandma (couldn't stand the thought of us trying to carry laundry up and down those stairs). The only thing wrong was that the craft room doesn't have any air conditioning and we top 100 every year for stretches of time, but we put a vortex fan in the open door of the apt and shoot airconditioned cool air over the 4' landing into the craft room and it is very comfortable. Another drawback is that our convection/microwave oven needs replacing because it doesn't do convection very well. We intend to replace it. Anyone have advice on a good one?

My quilt friends come because there is plenty of room. There are huge shelves all around one half of the room with the family's stuff mostly in labeled boxes, a very sturdy high craft table, an old tredle (don't faint) turned into a potter's spinner (or whatever they are called), a pingpong table literally on its last legs, and some exercise equipment, but I still have plenty of space, even have a 8x8' quilting wall of insulation panels. When we meet each month we eat in the kitchen which is lined with windows. They have told me I live in a tree house. We love it!

Last edited by Sierra; 07-15-2013 at 07:26 AM.