View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 AM
CaseyC

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Tippy
I agree with washing in cold on gentle and tumbling dry.. That's how I've always cleaned my cotton quilts. I use Dreft soap for this. The only caution I would give on having the tie quilt cleaned is be sure to take it to a cleaners you know. I have heard of such items disappearing. Is it really soiled or does it just need freshening? There are products to use in the dryer to "dryclean" items yourself.
This is what I was thinking, too. IS the tie quilt really dirty or do you just want to freshen it up? If it isn't soiled, I would just air it out (not in the sunlight) and let is blow in the breeze for a while.
The ties were hanging on a wall. The remaining quilts were folded and draped over wooden display stands. Well, Mom's dog always managed to brush against the quilts. The bottom 12 to 18 inches of each one is slightly soiled. If I spread them out I can see the difference in coloration. Since my last post, I have run the tie piece through my dyer using "DryEl". It improved the appearance somewhat, but not as clean as I would like. I think I'm stuck with taking it to a commercial dry clean place. I hope there is a way that they can "gently" clean it. As far as the other pieces go, I think I might try a good soak in Woolite with some hand agitation and then a partial dry in the dryer and then hanging them up to dry completely. Anyone see any problems with any of this? As usual, all suggestions are very welcome.