View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM
FroggyinTexas

When I have participated in block exchanges and received blocks that were too small, I have added sashing and then trimmed the block to size. Since I am assuming that your background for each applique is the same, you could trim each block to a uniform size and sash with the background material and no one will ever know the difference. But that's only if you want the 5 and 1/4 inch block. Personally, I would just cut everything down to the same size after I put the applique on the rest of the blocks. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by mvalley View Post
Help. I am making a quilt with each block being cut to 5 and 1/4 inch blocks. Then they have a design that is appliqued on them. My problem is that when I cut the background squares and put on the applique pieces the finished block no longer measures the 5 and 1/4 inch. What can I do. I have to totally disguard some the blocks they are way off. However, some of the others are just slightly off. My question -- can I just make slightly smaller seam allowances? I could use a paper template as the background and sew the blocks together that way so that the finished block will measure correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.