Old 07-16-2013, 06:21 PM
kezzali

Default Singer 66 from 1919: to buy or not to buy

I found this girl at my local antique store and I'm not sure if I should purchase it for $50. I'm a new quilter currently using a used Brother XL-3030 that my mom gifted me in college. My Brother doesn't like it when the fabric gets thicker and I'm not able to do a few other projects that require a bit more power either.

It looks like a red eye Singer 66 electric sewing machine in a nice travel case. I looked up the serial number at it said it was made in 1919. It's missing the cord and foot pedal, so I don't know if the motor works. They are asking $50 for it, but I'm not sure if that is worthwhile or not since 1) I don't know if it works and 2) it's missing parts. It looks to be in pretty good condition. Hand cranking the wheel(?) results in a smooth movement of the machine. A nice person a reddit mentioned verifying the hook moves, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.

I have until tomorrow afternoon to make up my mind. I could try to talk them down too, but I'm not really sure what it's worth since I was told Singer 66's are pretty common. What do you think? Thanks!