Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 PM
DustysMomma

Sounds like my house. My ex-husband used to expect a meat, 2-3 vegetables and some form of bread (even just Sunbeam) every night, and it better not be something fast. I used to make this dish Dusty called goulash. 2 boxes of mac n cheese made to box directions, 1 lb of browned ground beef, and 1 can of tomatoes which have been through the blender. Mix it all up & you have dinner for 3. He let me get away with it for dinner a few times, then said "that's not dinner" and wanted to fight every time I mentioned it as an option. I could make spaghetti, but I wasn't allowed to actually make sauce the way my dad taught me to cook. His mother used Ragu's plain old regular sauce with nothing done to it & to him, that was the only kind to eat. Boil the noodles, brown the hamburger, drain them both & dump it all in the pot together. That was the closest thing to fast dinner I was able to get away with, even when I was stressed out and driving to Atlanta (90 mins each way) every day when I was an assistant project manager for a sports field construction company. When we divorced, I lived on ($1 each at the time) Michelina's frozen dinners & Hot Pockets, because it was super easy and I was alone most of the time.

One of the biggest things in this house now is frozen pizza. The man is into the french bread pizzas and Dusty & I prefer the cheapo Totino's party pizzas. He'd love for me to buy those California Pizza Kitchen pizzas, but he's the only one who's impressed by them. Left to his own devices, he'd eat Chinese or open-faced sandwiches every night or stop on the way home at Smoothie King. I'd probably stock up on cheap frozen stuff and canned soup, just like the single days.