Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
1. If you don't use WD-40 or liquid wrench to clean inside the machine (cam stack area, etc.) what do you use? I HATE cleaning in there -- it's so hard.

Yes it is hard. I use Tri-flow. If the 3 in 1 oil some Egor used doesn't come off you may have to use something stronger. I pack around it with cosmetic pads or pantiliners to protect the finish on the machine. I also have some hospital bed pads or some doggie potty pads to put on the machine's bed to protect it. Then if the Tri-flow doesn't loosen it up I use brake cleaner or xylene - Joe uses gun cleaner. This is a tricky area to work in but I use drops of anything - I don't use gallons. If you use solvent, do it outdoors. I think the liquid wrench and WD40 leave a residue. Once you have used the Tri-flow you should only have to oil that - I haven't had to clean up after T-F yet. Even if it sets a while it goes smooth pretty quick - then drop a bit more on it. It is my understanding that instead of gooping up the T-F powders off when it gets old.

2. For the past few days I've been dreaming of how I might get my 401 to chain stitch. (How lucky I am to find you right now!) Will the 411g bobbin race fit in a 401? Here's my idea: the Singer 600 series machines can chain stitch, and for this they have 3 accessories: 1. a chain stitch throat plate (with a little doo-hicky on the back), 2. a thread guide that clips onto the machine, and 3. a little bobbin case cover plate. These are readily available, I guess because of all the Touch and Sews that bit the dust leaving their attachments behind.

The 600 series uses a different bobbin, so that little plate probably won't fit. BUT, I found chain stitch instructions online for the 411G, and it doesn't use the little cover plate. The 600 series chain stitch throat plate should fit the 401, and I think the thread guide clip will fit. So, if I get a 411G bobbin race, a 600 series chain stitch throat plate and thread guide, will my 401A be able to chain stitch?

I've been obsessed with wanting to chain stitch lately. I would love to find a Singer 24 some day, or a Willcox & Gibbs chain stitcher. I have a Betsy Ross toy chain stitcher, but it can only do light duty work

Thank you for this thread!
--Sheila
Tammi wants hers to chain stitch, too - I don't know if she got it to do it or not. A Singer 600 or 603 Touch and Sew are nice machines when the bobbin area works. If not just use it as a chain stitch and you should be good to go.