Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 AM
Sheluma

Plume, Yes, we posted at the same time. I see the pictures now. You really do have great friends. That will be a great machine for you to learn on, and to use forever. If you had gotten a crummy new machine, you might hate sewing because of the machine, and not even realize it was the machine and not you. The accessory case with the little drawers is special. Some of the American machines came with a good plastic box with fitted compartments, but I haven't seen anything as nice as yours.

Miriam, yes, I am still dealing with the previous owners gunk. I used WD-40 at first, but the fumes bother me. I got the machine working, and little by little just try to clean the rest (the non-contact parts) with oil now and then. I know tri-flow is the best, but I don't want to use teflon. I think regular clear sewing machine oil is non-toxic, but teflon isn't. My sewing area is in my kitchen, and I have pets, and I don't want to run the risk that they might ingest some. Do you think silicone might work for tough spots? Where do you pack the pantiliners or cosmetic pads? I just use rags to clean inside or paper towels on the outside.

Until I saw this thread I thought I might be able to get the 401 to chain stitch just with the special throat plate and thread guide. But then I saw your picture of the bobbin race and realized I'd need that too. The touch and sew uses that little bobbin cover plate, so I thought the bobbin race wasn't doing much during the chain stitch. But I guess that can't be. I don't think I could keep a machine like the touch and sew just for chain stitch (no room) and I know I can't replace my 401 with it. For a beautiful (and small) machine like the 24 or W&G I could find the room. Maybe someday I'll find an affordable 411 or 431.

Have a great day, Miriam, and a great evening, Plume!