Thread: Quilting Studio
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 AM
mckwilter

If I could custom build my own work room, I would put kitchen cabinets (both lower and upper) on 2 walls of the room. The countertops would be your work surfaces and the drawers and cabinets would hold your various supplies. Have kneeholes built in so that you have somewhere to sit and work. If you have any hobbies that require a cooktop (I make baskets and dye my reeds), have one installed, too. On the third wall, I would have my cutting surface and large ironing surface, with shelves for bins, etc. to hold rulers, cutters, irons, etc. On the fourth wall, I would have a wall-to-wall bookcase with a build in computer station to hold all the books I have. The bookcase would have doors that were a design wall and a pegboard. I would have three sewing centers facing each other, one with my sewing machne, one with my serger and one with my Sunshine 16 (a sit-down mid-arm machine for FMQ).

As you can tell, I have thought about this. I always said that if I could build my own house, I'd start with a plan for a duplex. The first kitchen / dining area / living room would be used for those purposes. The second kitchen / dining area / living room would become my sewing / craft area. I would have a stove and refrigerator and as many cabinets as I could fit into them, plus a table and chairs for friends to come and sit and sew. The dining area would have the built-in bookcases plus a small sitting area with good lighting and a comfy chair for my hand work -- applique, hand piecing and hand quilting. The family room would have the cutting, ironing and sewing stations. The layout would include 4 bedrooms, but the master bedroom / bath would actually take up 2 bedrooms, so that we could have a sitting area in the master. The third bedroom would become my husband's music room and the 4th bedroom would be the exercise room. All the rooms would have cable TV hookups.

Last edited by mckwilter; 07-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.