View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

Warning ... I am not good at tutorials, so girls this is not a tutorial, just a scanned picture of the original pattern I used. Hopefully you know the basic way of putting together a stuffed toy. For really this is how I made this one. I cut out the patterns while they were folded in half. The legs are without a seam allowance, because I pin the pattern to the fabric and sew around it leaving an opening for turning and then I cut it out with the allowances, clipping the curves and V's pretty close. Then I did the embroidery hand work which you can see in the picture The eyes are felt, one larger as the background and one smaller for the pupil. Then I sewed the body leaving the openings I indicated on the pattern to insert the legs and turning. I creased the turned in seam allowance where the legs are to match front and back.

The legs are all one piece and padded with a cut to size piece of warm and white batting and then once turned and pressed, the details are sewn by machine to add the webbed feet and the outlined legs. They then are inserted after the body is turned and the head is partially stuffed, but you could cut two legs and sew them to the body that way if you wish.

I then stuffed the rest of the frog and hand sewed up the legs on either side to close up the frog. I know if the legs are sewn into the seam and a opening left somewhere else on the frog, it would be so much less work. But, this was a make up as I went kinda thing, remember?

I cut the lily pad like a fat heart and two pieces of warm and natural. put the fabric right sides together, and the batting on the outside of each one and sewed around, leaving and opening for turning. Trimmed the batting only away from the seams and turned it right-side out. I used a large holed funnel to pour in the flax seed and stitched it closed. This makes it feel soft still and the fabric is smooth and reinforced. I then hand stitched the frog onto the lily pad at the feet and all around the bottom. I used a purchased iron on flower at the front end for decoration.

That's it .... you now have a frog to share with your friends. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THESE FROGS TO SELL OR TRY TO SELL THE PATTERN EITHER.

Please share your froggy with us on the quiltingboard when yours is finished. I would love to see what you do with my design.
Redgarnet222/Sandy Smith

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-20-2013 at 09:16 AM.