View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I don't think orthotics inside tennis shoes will work for someone who has to walk on concrete while working. Your feet need total support, not just cushioning at pressure points on the bottom. My recommendation is to go to a top-notch shoe store that specializes in shoes for people with foot issues (in MN this is Schuler Shoes; don't know what the equivalent would be in IL). Describe your foot issues and working conditions, and they should be able to fit you with shoes that provide the support you need. This type of shoe typically costs $100 to $150 but tend to last 5 years so they are ***really*** worth the money.

Before I did the above, I used off-the-shelf orthotics that simply moved the problem to a different area. Also paid something like a $450 co-pay for physician prescribed orthotics that were simply awful. The specialty shoe store was worth every penny. I did find an off-the-shelf orthotic that works for me in my walking shoes, but it is no longer made. Because it was the only orthotic that ever worked for me when I realized it was not going to be sold anymore I bought a lifetime supply of them off an eBay seller.

The majority of the time I wear only 3 types of shoes -- the walking shoes with inserts, indoor shoes from the specialty shoe store, and sandals from the specialty shoe store. Other shoes are for short jaunts to restaurants, etc. only.

You mentioned tennis shoes. Tennis shoes offer *no* support for the foot. I am hoping you at least mean walking shoes -- shoes designed specifically for walking. Good brands of walking shoes also typically cost in the $100+ range. This is because shoes that support your feet and provide proper cushioning (that does not break down with use) require good materials and good construction. My favorite cushioning for walking shoes are the Nike airs because the air-cushion compartments do not break down over time. Any kind of off-the-shelf insert you get made from foam rubber type materials will break down with use and provide less and less cushioning; they require frequent and regular replacement. It can actually be less expensive to start out with a good pair of shoes!