Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 AM
justflyingin

Default My other scrappy cash register tape quilt..."Disappearing Color"

I saw this style of quilt some time ago somewhere on the internet and was intrigued by the idea, so I decided to try it with this one. Wasn't sure what I thought of it when I was done, but overall I am pleased.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425514[/ATTACH]
I sewed scraps onto the cash register tape (it's pretty thin) and then sewed it into a top making the width of white gradually wider as I went to the edge of the quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425515[/ATTACH]
I used a scrappy binding.

This was the first I'd ever done like this and I got impatient with taking the paper off the back of the quilt top so I went ahead and washed it first (It was a really bad idea!--had some seams come undone!) But this is how I KNOW the paper dissolves. After washing it, there was no paper on the back anywhere. It showed up in some places looking like the top was dirty in spots. Then, I scraped at those spots and realized it was the paper, mostly dissolved.

So, I made the repairs to the strips, and quilted this top up yesterday and washed it again last night. It came out fine. The paper isn't anywhere to be seen.
Attached Thumbnails 1-cash-register-tape-quilt.jpg   2-cash-register-tape-quilt.jpg