Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
QuiltingNinaSue

Well, my bf got all her corn she wanted....24 dozen...for her and her daughter. Dd will work it up for her on Friday. We blanch the ears, cool them in cold water mixed with cold milk, either freeze the ears or cut if off the cob. Dh was not raised with lots of canning and freezing like I was and he does not cut it off the cob right, nor does he shuck the ear right, so I will work on my 10 dozen tomorrow while dh works outside. At least half will be frozen as ear corn and it is sooooo good in the winter time, although it takes up more freezer room. It is called "Incredible Sweetcorn" and it is...if he does not raise/sell any, we do without 'cause any thing else is a poor substitute. Then next Wednesday I will get more to work up. (Got 42 cents off per gallon a gas today for next fill up at local grocery chain and will get an additional 20 cents off per gallon on Sunday)

California freestone peaches are on the market here, .99 a pound, so I am getting a lug (20 lbs.,) on Sunday to work up and can. I boil water in my big spaghetti pan and use the insert with the holes to scald the fruit and peel them easily. Also works well with tomatoes.