View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM
cmannine

Default Most People who truly know about quilts and quilting know the average price

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics View Post
I always tell them they couldn't afford to pay me what I'm worth...that usually ends the conversation....lol.

If you stop and think of how many hours you put into a quilt from start to finish, at $10, $20, or $30 bucks an hours, depending on how much you think you're worth, you would see that it would be lots!

And then of course the cost of all the materials added on to your labor costs.

I only make quilts for gifts to people who I think are worthy of them...another words, only the people I wanna give them to because I think they will appreciate them.
I heard that the 2-3 X the price of materials before for everything altogether. I tell most people it depends on the size and complexity. Plus most people that buy from me I know one way or another through a friend or work etc. If I was to sell to complete strangers I usually think about the cost of the materials and double it for everything altogether. There is a lot of competition in selling quilts online and in person as well. If they truly want to be astonished tell them to try buying one from Amish country and then compare your prices.

I had a friend I knew who asked me to make her quilt queen size. She knows what the amish charge she was there and she quoted me about 200-225 for the quilt of not to complex of a design either. Which is what I normally charge to just about anyone for the quilt. The materials are about 90-100 for the queen not counting thread. So that is about double the price or close to it.

If you are doing something truly unique and artistic that is harder to do then you would charge more because anyone else would and if they dont buy it keep it in your collection until someone else who knows quilts values it like you do.